New version of World of Tanks causes extreme CPU usage (unplayable)

Questions about Wine on Linux

New version of World of Tanks causes extreme CPU usage (unplayable)

Post by 43615 »

I have been playing the game in my Wine environment for several months without any issues. However, after the Final Frontier event released last week, the game client has developed an odd issue that makes it practically unusable.

I've already submitted an AppDB entry here.

Software and system details
  • World of Tanks EU 1.24.1.4526 (installable through launcher, available here after registration)
  • Wine 9.8 (normal and staging)
  • DXVK 2.3.1
  • AMDVLK 2024.Q1.3
  • Arch Linux with kernel 6.8.9-arch1
  • Radeon 7900 XTX, i9-13900KS
Issue details
  • As far as I can tell, this issue only started with the new game version. I'm almost certain that no part of my graphics or Wine setup was updated between the last time it worked and when the issue started.
  • When the game is in view and rendering 3D graphics, it utilizes all 32 CPU cores to nearly full capacity. This results in extremely low and unstable FPS.
  • The load is only created when the game is not minimized.
  • Graphics settings have some effect, but nowhere near sufficient. My normal settings get around 10 FPS, minimum settings around 20-30.
  • Instead, the load appears to be primarily tied to the amount of visible objects. When looking at a light scene (such as zooming in on the sky), the load and FPS return to normal.
  • The game process gradually spawns exactly 500 new threads when graphics are rendered, which disappear if the game is minimized. To me, this suggests some sanity check or protection mechanism somewhere.
What I've already tried with no effect
  • Changing and resetting game settings, repairing game files
  • Freshly installed Steam version of the game (to test OOBE brokenness and Fsync, runs through Proton Experimental)
  • Reinstalling DXVK
  • Switching between different Vulkan drivers (Arch packages "amdvlk" and "vulkan-radeon")
  • Switching to WineD3D (winecfg > set relevant DLL overrides to "builtin")
  • Switching to Wine Staging and launching with WINEESYNC=1
Considering all the things I've tried and eliminated, I'm reasonably sure that it's a deeper issue with Wine itself. The most puzzling aspect is that the game update in question was relatively minor, with the patchnotes only mentioning the new event and minor fixes. Perhaps this will be undone when the event ends and its assets are removed (next Monday).

Please suggest other things to try if you have any ideas. Keep in mind that I'm fairly new at all of this (except WoT^^).

Re: New version of World of Tanks causes extreme CPU usage (unplayable)

Post by 43615 »

Was not fixed by the removal of the event today. I've submitted a bug report.